HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY - EUROPEAN LEGAL TRAINING CENTER
It is essential that students and staff are aware of, and become familiar with, procedures for dealing with matters concerning health and safety, such as emergencies and the treatment of injured persons. A safe working environment may only be achieved by the full cooperation of staff and students.
ELTRC recognizes and accepts its responsibilities and duties under relevant statutory provisions. ELTRC is committed to the provision of safe and healthy working conditions for all staff and students of the Institute and to the safeguarding of persons entering any of its premises and/or premises from which it operates. ELTRC regards health and safety as a core management function and will work to ensure the commitment of all members of staff to the full implementation of the Institute's health and safety policy.
The attention of all staff is drawn to their legal responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves and all others who may be affected by their acts and/or omissions and to co-operate with the Institute with regard to health & safety matters. All persons on Institute premises have a duty not to interfere with or to misuse anything provided by the ELTRC in the interests of health and safety. The ELTRC requires all employees to report without delay, to their employer or a colleague with health and safety responsibilities such as the Health and Safety Officer, any work situation that could give rise to serious and imminent danger to health and safety and also any noted shortcomings in the employer's protection arrangements for health and safety.
It is ELTRC’s policy to comply with all relevant statutory and regulatory provisions and to take such additional measures as it considers necessary. To achieve ELTRC will, as a minimum, operate to legal requirements and established standards of good practice and will as far as is reasonably practicable:
- Manage its activities in such a way as to ensure that the health, safety and welfare of all employees, students, and any other persons on its premises are not put at risk.
- Provide and maintain plant and systems of work that are safe and without risk to health.
- Make arrangements for ensuring safety and absence of risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
- Provide the necessary information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure the health and safety of all employees, students and any other persons on the Institute’s premises.
- As regards any place of work under the Institute's control, maintain it in a condition that is safe and without risk to health and provide and maintain means of safe access.
- Provide and maintain a working environment that is safe, without risks to health and is adequate with regard to facilities and arrangements for the welfare at work of all employees.
- Promote through consultation and other means, the active involvement of all staff and students in the development, promotion, implementation and monitoring of measures provided for health, safety and welfare.
- Ensure that risk assessments are carried out as required by governing legislation.
- Cooperate in safety matters and co-ordinate safety arrangements with such employers as required by legislation.
- Appoint competent persons to provide advice in accordance with legislation.
- Seek specialist advice on health and safety matters as and when necessary.
- Investigate thoroughly all accidents and unusual occurrences affecting health and safety.
- Seek to make progressive improvements in health and safety by formulating an annual safety plan for the Institute.
- Provide a set of standards and guidance to assist those responsible for the implementation of this policy.
- Monitor compliance with safety measures by regular inspection, monitoring and auditing.
- Copies of this document shall be available for inspection by employees and students upon request.
- The Institute shall provide adequate resources and facilities to enable the requirements of this policy to be achieved.
- The Institute shall review this document on an annual basis, or more frequently if justified.